Thursday, August 28, 2008

Rat cake!



Last night we celebrated our friend Scott's 60th birthday (which was actually on Tuesday). He lived in Japan for ten years, so I thought it would be fun to get him a Year of the Rat cake. He was born in the year of the Earth Rat, and after cycling through the rest of the five elements, the Earth Rat year has come around again. It's a big deal.

I got the cake made at Fred Meyer, using their "picture a cake" thing where you take in a photo (or other picture) and they somehow magically apply it to the top of a cake in edible form. I created the design with one of my digi rats, and the kanji for "sixty years" down the side. (As it turns out, that may not have been the most authentic way to phrase it, but I couldn't find an answer in time, so I just went with that.)



Scott with his cake! I asked him what kind of cake he liked and he said carrot, so it was a carrot rat cake.



Lighting the candles. I didn't catch the moment of blowing out.



Kate helps take the candles out afterward.



Lucky has his eye on the cake.



He didn't get any.



Lucky looks festive.



Scott gets a kiss. Happy birthday!

5 comments:

Laura Call said...

That is a really neat looking cake! How thoughtful of you to get a cake that would be so meaningful to him.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely thing to do. Wish I could get birthday kisses from Kate ;) You guys are officially invited to my party, if you can make it over!

Kathey said...

What a neat idea. Happy Birthday Scott!

Anonymous said...

Maybe Lucky wasn't so lucky.

What a neat cake!

Happy Birthday, Scott!

Sarah said...

Hello! I really like your blog. I love reading about other crafty people. Your family is precious. I'm expecting too and due around the same time, on January 2nd. Happy crafting!