Monday, August 18, 2008

15 년후

Or, "How did my scanner get so dusty?"

August 18th is the day I got home from my mission. I was thinking about this a few weeks ago, and it occurred to me that it was, in fact, fifteen years since I got home. I'm still not sure how fifteen years could possibly have elapsed since then, but after double-checking the math, I had to admit that this was actually the case. It doesn't feel like fifteen years.

We celebrated the occasion by going out to lunch. I also dug out a few pictures that I thought I'd share.

김수경

This is my last companion, Sister Kim Su Kyung, and me (err... I. "This is I." Nominative case. Yep.) at a zone activity. She was a sweetheart. We haven't kept in touch but I think of her every once in a while. My hair was a lot lighter back then! I was also frequently sunburned.

I was serving in Sunchon and GwangYang, way down south, as my last area. I recall it was raining, the morning that I left, which seemed appropriate as I was feeling very emotional and kept randomly bursting into tears. (Maybe not quite bursting, but a lot of welling up.)

김상경 and 이수진 서울 성전앞

There was a group of us going home at the same time, including two other sisters, Lee Su Jin and Kim Sang Kyung. Here we are in front of the Seoul temple. Sister Kim had been my companion for a couple of months, in Taejon. It was nice to get to spend some more time with her before going home. (Yes, I had companions named Kim Sang Kyung and Kim Su Kyung. Two different people.) I didn't ever serve with Lee Su Jin but I met her parents, later, when I was doing my summer internship at a publishing company in Seoul. As soon as I saw her father, I thought, "He looks just like Lee Su Jin!"



And here I am with my family at the airport, after a very long flight. (This was back when Barb was still shorter than me. Ha.) I was only home for nine days and then went out to BYU for the start of fall semester. I had kind of a hard time with the transition, just figuring out where I was and what I was supposed to be doing with myself. I felt like I'd been through such an amazing experience, and changed so much, but it was all inside, and there were things that were important to me that I couldn't explain to anyone else. I was so glad that I got to go back with Doug, later, and share some of that with him. Hopefully some day we'll be able to take Kate (and Baby Boy).



This was lunch today--kimchi jjigae. Our heat wave broke and it was cool and rainy. Just seemed like a jjigae day. (Doug had bulgogi.) Kate was a bit squirmy and kept trying to climb up the back of the seat, but she enjoyed the food and ate a lot.

Yesterday in church we heard from a young man (our stake president's son) who just got back from serving in Korea a few weeks ago (Pusan--though I think they're romanizing it as Busan now, which bugs me). I got to talk to him briefly afterwards. One thing that I really miss is singing hymns in Korean. There are a few hymns that we sing where I have to restrain myself from breaking into Korean on the chorus. It's amazing that I still remember so many of them.

One of these days I'll get around to scrapping my mission pictures. Maybe I'll use one of those photo-scanning services and do it all digitally. A big coffee-table book or something.

10 comments:

Heather T. said...

So cool to read all this -- thanks for sharing!! Love those photos (and I love kimchi!)!

Carin said...

What a beautiful missionary you are!
Time seems to fly doesn't it.

Mimi said...

Happy Anniversary. You look blonder.

cami said...

Love seeing the Korea pictures!

I'm on Mark's 'puter and cannot type in han-gool,which is lucky for you since I am one cruddy speller in Korean!

I don't care for "Busan" either. ;)

Hey, as of next April, you'll have a place to stay should you get to Seoul!

mycattripoli said...

very cool- time flies once you get married and have kids- eh? cool post

Becky said...

Helena: I know exactly how you felt. Due to the U.S. economy it is certain our 3 year stay will be shortened. We could hear any day that we are returning. I can't think about it or I too get teary. Korea is forever in my heart and I'm such a different person than when I arrived.

Anonymous said...

It's been quite a while since I was shorter than you. Ha ha!!

I remember being SO excited to go get you from the airport. I think I made a sign or something, but I think I was disappointed in how it turned out, and that you nearly beat us to the baggage claim. Was I 11 then? Must have been.

Kathey said...

I felt lots of nostalgia when I read your post, and I wasn't even the one who went to Korea! Fifteen years? Wow.

And, I think Barb had some things mixed up. We met you at your gate when you came in. It was Peter who was almost at the baggage claim when we went to meet him when he arrived home from his mission. He was supposed to have come in at a certain time, but called us from the plane and said he was on an earlier flight which was then only about 30 minutes from landing. Needless to say we jumped in the car, and were walking in the airport door as he came down the hall holding a red rose for his mom.

Lots of tears on both homecoming days. Lots of memories. Lots of gratitude for missions well served, lots of things learned, and for Heavenly Father's protection.

We sure have been blessed. Thanks for sharing.

Love, Mom

Ernie said...

Thanks for letting me into that part of your world. Really intriguing.

I almost forgot about Baby Boy! (Bad Ogre!) Hope all is going well.

Lara Neves said...

Cool post! I just realized last month that I've been home for 11 years. It doesn't seem so long, but it some ways it does.

My brother served in Seoul West...he loved Korea.