Wednesday, August 27, 2008

berries, books, and boxes

Kate and I went out picking blackberries again last night. They're getting a bit past their peak, and some of them are pretty mushy and yucky, but we did find a couple of bushes with good berries still on them. Yum.

I finally caught a couple of the kids in the complex and gave them the little books that I made. I delivered the others right after I got them, but there were a couple of kids that I hadn't seen since then. So last night J.C. (boy) and Tram (girl), both about 11-12-ish, were outside kicking a ball around, and I got their books and took them out to them. Right away they starting flipping through them and pointing things out to each other. It turns out that some of the pictures from last fall were actually taken on the first day they met, which I hadn't realized. That was pretty cool. I took Kate back inside, and then when I looked out a few minutes later they were still sitting and looking at their books. I'm glad they enjoyed them so much.

I've been sorting clothes today. After we found out we were having a boy, I called my sister Barb and asked if she'd like a bunch of girl clothes. There was quite a bit, especially the early stuff, that was non-gender-specific, so I pulled those out to use again (lots of green and yellow, and a few blues). I ended up with two big boxes to send. I've heard people talk about feeling sentimental getting rid of baby clothes, but this was the first time I'd done it myself. All those cute clothes that Kate wore when she was so little. *sniff.* And some that were special gifts from people (including a few dresses that Barb made herself, which we'll be sending back).



We were rather surprised by the sheer volume of everything. These little ones go through clothes quickly. I also found a few things that I'd bought ahead for this year and then lost track of. Grrr. Not a lot of things, but it's still aggravating. Kate can probably still wear them for a little while.

A few people have mentioned that we might have another girl later. I suppose that's possible if (A) we can squeeze another one in there before I'm 40 and (B) we're not in a two-bedroom apartment anymore. But you never know. We'll see.

6 comments:

Expatriate Buckeyes said...

*Sniff* It will be fun though seeing Barb's little one wearing her cousins cute outfits. By the way I love Baby Boy in the cast of characters. Very sweet.

Mimi said...

You have to keep a couple of special ones, though, I did.

And, they'll come back your way if you have another girl.

Carin said...

I am so bad I hung onto all the baby clothes until 3 years after I had my tubes tied LOL!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad the kids liked their books! I love that feeling when you've spent time doing something and people actually appreciate it.

We are so grateful to get to use Kate's clothes. That is going to help so much. Maybe Karen could use some if you haven't sent them yet?

If you do have another girl we would be more than happy to send them back.

Thanks so much!!

levi said...

Hi, this is Jessica Beecher on Levi's account spying on you. If you'd like any boy clothes I have plenty to share! A lot of the stuff is practically brand new. Let me know if you're interested...

Laura Call said...

Yes, it is true, the baby clothes pull at your heart strings and bring back those sweet memories of when they were so new and so little... they grow up so fast! I too, like one of the above comments mentioned, will hang onto a few items of clothing that I feel are most special for whatever reasons and pack them away just to have for a keepsake.