Monday, November 16, 2009

Paper Sculptures



The Canon Creative Park has all sorts of paper sculpture patterns (very cool stuff, and much more intricate and complicated--and time-consuming--than my little paper box animals). We put together this crocodile, which has a tricky articulated tail. (Doug had to tell Kate ahead of time that it wouldn't really be for playing with.)



This Tyrannosaurus took even longer. Lots of fiddly pieces to cut out.



I got to cut around all those teeth.



Doug was impressed by the design of the curved tail. I like the haunches.

We printed on thin paper and glued the sheets to old manila folders for extra strength, but then we had trouble with the layers delaminating at the structurally stressful points. I wouldn't recommend that method. On the site they suggest using matte photo paper.

In addition to all kinds of animals, they have some really astonishing architecture, and toys with moving parts.



Kate created her own version of the crocodile. (I helped with the upper jaw shape and some of the scales.) I love how she wants to do these things herself.

3 comments:

Heather T. said...

Wow, those are some golly-gee-whiz projects there! Love Kate's of course!

Amy B. said...

Those are some fun ones. I tend to gravitate toward the buildings. I've built a Japanese castle (talk about fiddly!) a German castle, and the carosel. All were fun but took several hours.

My kids love to build stuff too. We print them up projects for them to work on during General Conference and it keeps their hands busy and everybody in the same room.

BTW, we use Staples card stock packs to print on. It's not so heavy it's hard to fold, but stiff enough to take the weight of the project. It's sturdy and takes the printer ink well.

Kathey said...

Cool stuff, and I do love Kate's creation. I have fond memories of the paper box animals of long ago. Actually there are still two little penguins on one of the bookshelves in the living room. Did you make those, or did Betsey? Such fun memories! :D