Friday, November 06, 2009

Autumn Dress



Over the summer I ran across the Dharma Trading Co. site. They have lots of white clothes and accessories for dyeing/painting/decorating (some very cool stuff there), including a couple of little girl's dresses with crocheted tops and fabric skirts (like this one). When I saw these, I thought, "Huh, I could do that!" And it would solve my problem of not being able to sew button holes.

Actually, my inability to do button holes is not the only thing standing in the way of my turning out beautiful dresses for Kate. The fact that my sewing machine (an old one that Scott had lying around) needs to be cleaned and adjusted is also a major drawback. But the principle is sound, and I was eager to give it a try. I made the top and asked Jill Tracy if she could put the skirt together for me. She did a beautiful job. Kate wore the dress to church this last Sunday, and we got some pictures afterward.



She spent most of the time huddling because she was cold, but I did get her to stand up for me and do an action rhyme about falling leaves that she got from her Highlights High Five magazine.




The fabric is from a dress that I made for me years ago. It was rather potato-sacky and I figured I wasn't likely to wear it again, but I really liked the fabric so I was glad to be able to use it for this.

It took me a while to find a thread color that I liked. I ended up ordering from Elmore Pisgah (color "fudge"), and then I ran out and had to order some more. (It says it's a size 10 thread, but I think it's a bit thinner than other size 10 threads I've used. It does work up nicely, and Kate apparently had no issues with the texture.) Then, when I took the top over to Jill and she attatched the skirt, we realized that it was just too short, so she took it apart and I added a few more inches onto the bodice. Seasonal projects can be risky, even if you start well in advance. At least I finished it while it's still fall!





I think this would work better for baby dresses, with a short yoke and poofy skirt. It took me quite a while to do all those rows and rows of single crochet. (I watched a lot of hulu.) I do love how it turned out!

(I might put some kind of edging around the neckline. Haven't decided yet.)

10 comments:

Heather T. said...

Oh, she is so beautiful in it! It's just perfect for her coloring!

Barbie Mills said...

I thought I recognized that fabric! It turned out beautiful. I love the detail on the sleeves, I'd like to see a close-up.

scrapper al said...

Isn't Dharma Trading great? I used to order from them often, but then moved onto other creative pursuits.

Kate's dress is lovely. You (and Jill) do wonderful work.

Wingnut said...

That is simply beautiful and she looks fabulous in it. It suits her coloring perfectly. Great job mom!

Heidi said...

This is just gorgeous! My mom crocheted my dd a gorgeous dress when she was 2 for a wedding we attended. I never thought about doing a bodice with an attached skirt. It is wonderful! I'm linking your blog for my mom to check out. She will love this!

slicksister said...

Ok, so this is amazing. It makes the dresses on my blog look like dish rags! The colours are fabulous and you did an impecable job withthe crochet work.

Mary said...

Totally adorable fall dress!

wholarmor said...

Very cute! Love the dress!

Kathey said...

Fabulous. I'd like to see a close-up too.

MamaBug said...

Amazing! Totally gorgeous dress. Kate looks so pretty in it.