Saturday, August 01, 2009

Kings Island



While we were in Ohio, we got to take Kate to Kings Island amusement park. (Andy came too, of course.) We kept talking it up and she was so excited. Our day did not start out as planned because the stroller broke when Doug was loading it into the car, so he had to go out and get a new one. That put us back a couple of hours, which was not a big deal since we weren't planning on being there all day long, anyway.

I hadn't been to Kings Island for almost twenty years. A lot of things have changed. Some of the rides are the same, but have different names. Some are gone altogether. What used to be Hanna-Barbera land is now Nickelodeon Universe, with all the characters that Kate's familiar with.





Kate drives!




Azul (Dora's blue train). Doug was going to take Andy on this one, too, but they wouldn't let him on because he wasn't wearing shoes. Poor deprived child. He doesn't even own any shoes.



Kate after getting wet on the Wild Thornberrys River Adventure--that which we used to call "the little log ride." I always liked this one, so I went on it with Kate while Doug sat with Andy. Kate was right in the front of the boat, and we came down a little dip, hit one of those places where the water kind of mounds up (a hydraulic jump?), and got thoroughly splooshed. She was not happy about that. We were both wearing jeans, too, which I realized was not the best choice. So we walked around with wet pants for a few hours.



Andy was pretty content to sit in the stroller and look around at everything.



Up at the top of the Eiffel Tower. (It's a 1/3 scale replica.)



Andy conked out on Daddy's shoulder.



On the carousel. Kate rode this three times in a row.



Kate watches the fountains. We sat in the shade here and had some pizza.



Andy finds his own entertainment.



Riding the train. It goes right under the new Diamondback coaster.





The Backyardigans Swing-Along. I think she was having a good time.

We left around 7:30, so we could get the kids home before it got too terribly late. They'll have to experience Kings Island at night some other time. All in all it was fun, but probably not really worth that much money. I told Doug we should go again when the kids are six and ten years old.



On the way home I snapped a shot of this surprising landmark, subject of a Heywood Banks song (which I am not going to link to, since it's entirely too catchy and a bit too far on the wrong side of irreverent, but you can find it on youtube).

10 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

Helena! I have the same hat! And I love it! ;)

Glad you had such a great time!

Helen in Australia said...

Showed my Mum your blog (to let her know what had partially inspired me to start mine), and she really loved the photos: you have a fantastic eye for good composition and lighting.

Bronwyn said...

Looks like a fun time. I agree though that those kinds of places are way overpriced.

MamaBug said...

I'm glad you had a good time. Your pictures are fabulous, as usual.

Mimi said...

I like the Nick tie-ins, Kate looked like she had a good time.

And, ay yi yi! That's some sculpture.

Kathey said...

Great pictures. How did Kate like driving the car? She looks very brave to go by herself. I still think it's silly that they didn't let Andy ride the train because he didn't have shoes. I loved the pic of Andy finding his own entertainment. Cute.

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun. I've seen socks that look like shoes. Maybe those would have gotten Andy on the train ;)

Laura said...

I always wear jeans to the amusement park and hit the water ride first to get good and doused. It helps keep me cool in the horrific summer heat since they stay wetter longer.

Rosencrantz said...

Kate's a fan of Blues Clues? Girl's got good taste!
= D

HaveAScrappyDay said...

I'm a pea from Cincy and was looking at your Kings Island photos. It looks like you had so much fun! And you saw "Big Butter Jesus" too. That statue is always fun to take visitors to see :-)