Friday, October 17, 2008

Impulse Buy



I'm supposedly saving my design money for something. Either a new couch or something camera-related, I'm not sure which. Or I'm trying to, anyway. Things keep coming up. Like this recent purchase--three crochet pattern books, in a language which I don't actually read.

A common lament of the crocheter is that all the good patterns are for knitting. Crocheting is, by nature, more bulky, and there just isn't as much good stuff out there that's really wearable. (I've made my share of bulky sweaters, which aren't getting much use here. It just doesn't get that cold.)

Recently I ran across some gorgeous crocheted sweaters on Catheryn's Crochet blog (specifically this one and this one), made from Japanese pattern books. I found the books she used on yesasia.com (and another one, too) and ordered them. They took almost a month to come, and finally got here last week. Yay! I've been having so much fun looking at them and figuring things out.

The books are in Japanese but the patterns are charted, which means they look like this:



I'd only recently become aware that there was such a thing as charted patterns, and I'd never tried to work from one. I found some good information here, and after spending some time looking at the charts I was pretty sure I could figure them out without too much trouble. Some of the assembly instructions are more complicated (and some border on bewildering), depending on the pattern.

Here are a few more of the pieces in the books:




I really like that last one. I started trying to figure out the gauge, to see what kind of thread would work with it. I managed to decipher where in the pattern it gives the hook size, and I found a conversion chart for Japanese hook sizes (why they can't just use metric I sure don't know). This pattern uses a size 4 hook, which I think should be 3.3mm (I think I'm dealing with the bamboo hook sizes here). The green sweater that Catheryn made also uses a size 4, and she said she used a 3.5mm hook, which would be US size E. (complicated, yes?) The hard part is finding a thread to get the right gauge.



I made a test motif from this pattern, which is supposed to be 16cm across. First I tried with size 10 thread (the most common size, available in lots of colors) and a B hook. That one was only 10cm. So then I tried it with a D hook and got 14cm. Closer, but not quite right. I had some size 3 thread, too, which is thicker, so today I tried that with an E hook, but it was too big. 20cm. Sigh. So I need something thicker than 10 and thinner than 3. I'll have to see if I can get ahold of some size 5 thread. (This stuff might work, though I am somewhat dubious, given the range of recommended hook sizes.)

Add to that the fact that these patterns are sized to fit petite Japanese women, which I am not, and you can see where some additional tweaking might be required. But I'm eager to jump in and get started on something--as soon as I finish this painting that's sitting on my kitchen table. I should probably get that done first.

These are the books that I got:

Spring and Summer Crochet 9
Beautiful Crochet Spring Summer 16
Simple Crochet Lace

(Yes the series is called "Let's Knit." These books are all crochet.)

13 comments:

Heather T. said...

Wow, you just plunge right on in! Very delightful. =)

Lara Neves said...

Those sweaters are beautiful! I wish I could crochet. I've tried to learn many times and have come to the conclusion that it just isn't my talent in life. Sigh.

Go you! Can't wait to see finished products. :)

Kathey said...

gorgeous! Good luck plunging in. Remember that first doily you made? I still have it. I think you were about 5 years old.

Anonymous said...

That last sweater is beautiful! Looking forward to seeing your finished projects.

Jeana said...

Wow, I can't even crochet, let alone try a pattern I can't read!
What you've done so far is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I have enough trouble with English knit/crochet patterns! Can't imagine deciphering those. Good luck to you--I'm sure you can do it!

Bronwyn said...

I just discovered the wonderful world of Japanese pattern books too! I have my eye on a couple of sewing ones but haven't bought one yet. I noticed the sizing charts and realized I'm probably a size XL which they don't make too many patterns for. Marley however is a perfect size XS. I guess I'll just have to sew for her.

I love your blog. You're so dang creative!

Amy B. said...

pretty! My mom prefers crochet too. It's just faster. can't wait to see your sweaters. :)

liannallama said...

wow--your crochet is beautiful! I have never seen the Japanese clothing patterns--I used to do mostly doilies and such. Those sweaters are really pretty!

Being Mrs Miles said...

Hi Helena,

I don't know you, I just come visit now and again and I always enjoy your blog. You're very talented and I always leave with new ideas.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas!

I have an award for you on my blog, if you get a chance to stop by sometime.

www.lalalime.blogspot.com

~ Barb

Jen said...

OK, I'm just baffled beyond belief that you were able to get anything out of Japanese instructions. I had to snicker at the petite size idea too. I could just see you getting it exactly right by the pattern and it still not be right! I imagine this is quite like creating a new written language. You're a crochet missionary to the US. The designs are gorgeous though and if anyone can figure it out, I'm sure you can!

Dean and Ida said...

Hey if you don't mind, i would love to take a look at those books. I love to crotchet, but i have a hard time with patterns because i learned by watching my mom when i was about 5. The first thing i made was a duck shape out of purple yarn... not sure how i did it though. I can follow a pattern now, but maybe i could understand the charted patterns better... maybe! Let me know how it goes, they are beautiful!

Wingnut said...

These *are* beautiful sweaters! I can't wait to see what you do with these patterns!