Thursday, October 16, 2008

Chalk Autumn



This is what I was working on earlier--pumpkin and leaves in Corel Painter (with the "chalk" brush). It was part of the October mega kit, and is now available separately. (Cheap!)

Heather T. asked what the advantages were in using Painter for something like this rather than Photoshop. I find Photoshop can be kind of choppy--if I'm doing some hand journaling, or drawing, I get better results in Painter. And as for actually "painting," it's just more specifically designed for that sort of thing. Though some of the mediums are not particularly useful when you want to make a transparent png file, because they leave white around the edges. Chalk works okay. There are a lot of things that I'm comfortable doing in Photoshop that I don't really know how to do in Painter, so I always finish up in Photoshop.



Here's what they look like on white. The pumpkin is pretty solid but the leaves were made on the brown background, and will look quite different on something else.

I know the pumpkin vine isn't really botanically correct. Hopefully that won't bother anyone too much!

5 comments:

Dean and Ida said...

that is cool! I wish i could draw that well first of all and draw that well on the computer no less! Maybe someday! ;-)

Lara Neves said...

they are beautiful! I wouldn't have ever noticed about the pumpkin. :)

MrsRomer said...

Wow! Those are gorgeous!!!! You did an amazing job!

visiting from the DST blog train!
http://southernconservativescrapper.blogspot.com/

Pam said...

Very cool! I love the detail on the leaves. And your pumpkin looks fine to me:).

Jacinda said...

Your artwork is awesome. I can do stick people and that's about it. LOL.