Tuesday, October 14, 2008

bus, zoo, train!

(Also known as "the post with way too many pictures.")

First, an update on Doug's dad. He is doing a little better. He'll be in the hospital for a while, but he's improving. Thank you for your prayers and all your kind comments.

On Friday we made an excursion up to Seattle. We'd talked about taking Kate for a ride on the Sounder commuter train, and I wanted to go to the Woodland Park Zoo. We didn't get either of these things done during the summer, when Doug had tons of free time. But on Fridays he only has classes in the morning, so we decided to do it then.

The Sounder only runs at commuter times (i.e. really early in the morning) so we took the bus up. Here are Doug and Kate at the bus station:





Kate on the bus. Once we got into Seattle she kept saying, "It's the city!"

We changed buses downtown and caught the one going out to the zoo.



By the time we got to the zoo it was 1:00, and they close at 4:00 this time of year, so we didn't have a whole lot of time there. It's a very spread-out zoo with lots of walking. I'd been there once before, years ago, with my roommate Christy, but I didn't recognize very much.



The first thing we came to was the "Zoomazium" indoor play area, so of course we had to go in. (They have these cute kid-size doors next to the regular doors.) Kate was pretty excited. There were fake rocks to climb on, a slide, and a great big (also fake) tree in the corner, that kids can climb up inside. We had a hard time getting her out of there.




When we successfully extracted our child from the Zoomazium and got out onto the zoo grounds, we found other things to play with.





Grates must be stomped on.



There were lots of squirrels around. I took a few pictures of them, too.



"Let's go this way!"



We made it over to the African savanna area and saw the giraffes (and some cute Korean kids who ran up and pointed, yelling "기린!"). There were some zebras, too, but we couldn't see them as well.



Kate checks out the giraffes.



Hippo! (There were three, and we got to hear them bellowing at each other. That was kind of cool.)



Open wide!

Leaving the savanna area, we passed a couple more groups of people speaking Korean. I said to Doug, "와, 한국사람이 되게 많다." ("Wow, there are a lot of Korean people.") Every once in a while I get the nerve to strike up a conversation with somebody, but it's hard to think of what to say.



Kate in the gift shop. We got her a rubber alligator that kept her entertained on the way home.

I was pretty hungry by then, so we got some lunch, and then it was 3:00 and we only had an hour left. Kate wanted to go back to the Zoomazium, so Doug took her over there and I went to look at some more animals by myself.



Ocelot (beautiful animal!)






Another squirrel. This one was really checking me out. Too bad I didn't have anything to give him.




Komodo dragon



A fennec! (I've liked these ever since I read Eleanor Hoffmann's Mischief in Fez as a child.)

We left the zoo at closing time and took two buses to the train station.




The view from the bus.



We barely missed one train and had to wait for the next one, so we just hung out on the platform and played around with the camera.






Kate took this one. :)



Yes, my daughter likes rubber reptiles.




On the train! We sat up on the top level.




There really were other people on the train. A lot of them got off before Tacoma.



The view out the window.



The train after we got off.



Tacoma at night.

Long day! I did okay with all the walking around, but my ankles were really sore the next day. Maybe it's the extra weight. Or it's my shoes.

14 comments:

Mimi said...

Thanks be to God on the update, I've been keeping Doug's father in my prayers, and lit a candle for him on Sunday.

Great photos, it looks like a wonderful trip.

Fooferoo said...

Your zoo has so many more interesting animals than ours does. I'm going to have to make a trip up there someday... I want to see hippos!

Kathey said...

Hi Helena,

Thanks for the update on Doug's dad, and the photo tour of your excursion. What a fun day! I wonder where you will be at this time next year? (I keep hoping for Elgin. Has Doug heard anything about that?)

Love, Mom

Heather T. said...

Beautiful photos, Helena--thank you for sharing! Glad to hear about your FIL.

Lara Neves said...

1. I'm very glad that Doug's dad is doing better.

2. I love posts with lots of pictures! What a fun day! I really loved your photos of the zoo animals...the ocelot was my favorite!

Anonymous said...

Continued wishes of a speedy recovery.

Great pictures. You know, someone told me this week that Taipei's zoo is much better than Seattle's, so I think you should come visit it and tell me if that's true or not ;)

Pam said...

Glad to hear Doug's dad is doing better!! Dh's grandpa has been having a rough couple of weeks, so as I'm praying for our family, I'm praying for yours!!!

She is just so cute. If you looked up 'curious' in the dictionary, it'd be one of those pictures!!!

Freer Family said...

I love this post. What a perfect day! I loev zoos. You got some amazing photos! Kate is such a pretty little thing and getting so grown up.

Becky said...

Glad to hear Doug's Dad is better. Kate looks like she had a blast! I miss those days. I need to ask you a question. Could you email me?

golonghorns said...

Sorry to hear about Doug's Dad, glad he is better! I just love the zoo! That looks like a really fun one. Great pics by the way! Glad you liked our little squirrel buddy!

Laura Call said...

What a super fun day! I can't believe I've lived here my whole life and have never been to the Woodland Park Zoo. It looks amazing. GREAT pictures! I love the one of you and Kate together on the bus.

I'm glad to hear Doug's dad is doing better. I hope all continues to be well with him.

Dawn said...

great shots!
I can't believe how long kate's hair is! She is adorable!!

cami said...

The Korean word for hippo is hama. WHy do I know that, but not fennec or giraffe or lion? WHo knows!!

I love your post of many photos! My little sister takes the SOunder to work, perhaps she was onboard. You never know! And I am now quite homesick over the Tacoma at night photo. People may mock, but Tacoma is a great town.

Anonymous said...

Helena - I've read your posts for years on 2Peas and now have gotten interested in your blog first catching the photos of Seattle (dd just moved there with her family.) You and Doug are giving your daughter such an incredible childhood - all the photos just captivate me. Thanks so much for sharing.