Wednesday, January 28, 2009

New Year and Needles

I've been trying to think of something to post that wasn't about kids (or pictures of kids), but I haven't really been doing anything else. At least not anything interesting. Playing Cubis? Watching episodes of Monk on hulu? (Gotta do something while nursing....) This post is about kids, too, but there aren't any pictures.

So Monday was Chinese New Year. Doug was down at Paldo World on Saturday and picked up some kim (laver seaweed) and dduk for us (as well as a slightly overripe chamwae). Kate wanted some kim right away. Doug opened a package and gave her a piece (this was the kind with the little individual packs with pre-cut small sheets), and then she took the whole package and proceeded to snarf it all down. I get a kick out of the fact that she likes it so much. That and miso soup with tofu.

I was going to make dduk guk but didn't get around to it till last night. It wasn't quite as good as last year's, but not bad. I was also going to make a Year of the Ox digital kit, but I just didn't get it done. I didn't even start on it. A lot of things aren't getting done right now.

Monday was also Kate's four-year checkup and shots. They had us fill out a sheet of developmental questions--physical and cognitive stuff. Some of Kate's answers were a real hoot. One section had questions like, "What do you do when you're hungry?" ("Eat food!") and "What do you do when you're tired?" ("Go to bed!") But for "What do you do when you're cold?" she said, "Play in the snow!" Ha. There was also a section of defining words. I remember her explanation of "curtain" was "You open and close it to see the sun and the sky and the whole world!" and for "banana" she said, "It looks like a moon and you eat in your oatmeal."

Kate had to have five shots. We told her that it was going to hurt but it wouldn't last long, and then Daddy would take her to the bookstore afterward. She didn't even blink at the first one, but by the fifth she was crying pretty hard. Ouch. But she got to pick a little toy out of the treasure box, which cheered her right up. She chose a little pink octopus, and then after we got home she was struck with a case of buyer's remorse and wished she had picked the green crab instead.

Doug took Kate out today, too, for everyone's sanity. My afternoon naps have been less than successful the past couple of days. I was in a pretty bad mood yesterday. Today was better.

7 comments:

Heather T. said...

That's wild--I was just thinking tonight that I hadn't read you for a while, and hoping you were ok... Glad to read your update, glad you get to keep a bit of your sanity! Great answers of Kate's, those!

Lara Neves said...

Kate is brilliant. I'm glad she got through her shots okay. I hate that part.

Mimi said...

I love the answers, good job Kate!

Barbie Mills said...

Buyer's remorse.... Love it. I'm glad she did okay. Too bad she had to have five different ones. Ouch.

Dean and Ida said...

Sounds like fun, i love Kate's answers to the questions!! :-)

Kathey said...

I have really tender feelings about kids having to get so many shots. I'm glad our kids didn't have to get as many back in the "old" days…

Kate's answers are fabulous. I especially love the curtain and all this weekend. (I guess I'm having "buyer's remorse" too.)

Love, Mom

p.s. We had dduk guk last night too. We didn’t have all the ingredients on Monday.

Kathey said...

For some reason my whole message didn't come through. It was supposed to say:

I especially love the curtain and the banana. I am so sorry I can't come and see you this weekend…

Love, Mom