Sunday, May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day!



This is a picture of my mom with Kate, taken while we were in Ohio last summer.

Mom was the one who taught me how to roll a ball of yarn so that it pulls out from the middle, how to tell if an egg is cooked by spinning it, and how to whack a head of lettuce on the counter to knock the core loose. She also taught me how to give a talk in church and how to pad a writing assignment to make it long enough. She took care of me when I was sick, typed my stories for me on that old manual typewriter, and let me make a pickle-juice popsicle when I was ten, even though she knew it wouldn't be as good as I thought.

Mom's the one with the funny little wake-up songs and corny jokes. She inspired a love of reading, and animals, and creativity. When I read "Fox in Socks" to my daughter I can hear myself saying it the way my mom read it to me.

Happy Mother's Day, Grandma!

3 comments:

Drama Mama said...

So sweet, Helena! Happy Mother's Day to you. That little girl is so adorable and gets cuter all the time!

Ashly

Mimi said...

Happy Mother's Day to both you and she. What a great tribute.

Anonymous said...

Helena, not a lot of things make me tear up, but your words were wonderful. Happy Mother's Day to you and your mother. =) Tricia