Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Togetherness



The plan: get a picture of Kate and Andy together, looking like they're both happy about it, on a nice overcast day (no harsh shadows), when the grass is dry.

Out of this I hope to get not just one usable photo, but three.

Sound possible?

I have this vision for the wall above my computer desk, involving three square photos in a row (because, you know, things look better in threes). This adds an additional complication--I have to get three photos in which Kate and Andy's faces are close enough together that they can be cropped into a square.

When my overcast, dry-grass day finally materialized (August 28), I was home alone with the kids, (and Kate's purple shirt that had originally been part of my vision was in the laundry) but I decided to seize the moment. Assembled kids, blanket, camera, and bribed Kate with the promise of a cookie if she cooperated.



Kate is impressed by Andy's prodigious amounts of drool.





I'm quite sure that Kate is too young to be making this expression.



Andy yakked on the blanket (hugely) so we tried it without the blanket, but he didn't like the prickly grass.




Further attempts quickly deteriorated.



Can't you just feel the love?



Tipping... tipping... Aaaaaaagh!

I did get three that I'm planning to use. Not quite what I hoped for, but they'll work.

I think I'm going to get them printed 14"x14" mounted on foam board, at WHCC. (That's White House Custom Color.) I started an account with them years ago, but never got around to sending in my test files. I finally got that taken care of and got them back a few days ago, and was quite alarmed to see how far off my monitor apparently is. The prints are much redder than what I see on my screen. I need to get a new monitor anyway (mine has a case of the intermittent fuzzies, though it's been clear for several days now), but I guess I'll be looking into calibration devices, too. So now I'm second-guessing my color editing. I have no idea what these really look like.

7 comments:

Heather T. said...

*giggles* I love the deterioration--and you got some great shots! Yay--I look forward to seeing pics of the wall.

Lara Neves said...

It's so fun to have a vision and then try to execute it. I try to remember that it's just fun, because my sessions deteriorate pretty quickly, too!

I have been afraid of WHCC. Maybe I might as well just find out and get my test prints in. If they come out off, do you get to test again? How does that work?

Amy Sorensen said...

Makes you glad there's digital instead of film, huh??? It only gets harder the more kids you have...I think I might have one passable-decent photo of all my kids together. Maybe.

They are cute though!

Kathey said...

What a riot. I love your captions.

Helen in Australia (via Oxford) said...

"I'm quite sure that Kate is too young to be making this expression"

ROTFL.

However, your photos have captured the truth of raising kids (and photographing them)

Wingnut said...

How was that -- sending WHCC test files? I keep wanting to do that but just keep putting it off. I'd really like to try them for this year's Christmas cards. But I think i waited too long to do that.

Wingnut said...

P.S. My plan tomorrow is to try and shoot our annual Christmas card photo. The kids (at 15 and 11) are more easily manipulated (aka bribed) but I can't leave it at that. This year, I plan to try and incorporate all 4 horses. They're the big deal of our 2009 year so I decided they should be included. If I could only manage all 3 dogs too...but maybe that'll happen next year!