Sunday, April 12, 2009

Thoughts on Easter

It's a drippy sort of day. I remember when we were in Newfoundland, our friend Patrick told us that he always felt kind of down around Easter, since his mom had died at Easter time, and, he said, it seems like it always rains. (Probably true, in Newfoundland.) I was all set to take Kate out with the umbrella to do our little egg hunt, but the rain let up just at the right moment.




The purple egg had a message inside--"Look behind Andy's crib." There was a DVD of Bolt (which we still haven't seen, but I figured Kate would enjoy it). There was also some candy in the other eggs, which I'm thinking we shouldn't have let her eat all at once.

This Easter, thoughts of life and mortality and hope and faith have been on my mind rather more than usual. On this day that we celebrate Christ's resurrection, we also reflect on what this means for our own families. I haven't lost anyone in my immediate family yet (my last grandparent died when I was twelve), but having gone through this experience twice in such a short time with Doug's family, I've been pondering such things. We appreciate Doug's brother Al sharing with us a dream that he had after their dad passed away. We know that death is not the end, and we will be with our loved ones again.

Today I wore the Belgian lace blouse that Matt Budge (an old friend from BYU) sent me while he was serving a mission in Antwerp. Matt passed away in September of last year, after a sudden and brief battle with cancer, leaving his wife of twelve years and their six children. I never met his family but I've been thinking of them a lot, wondering how the kids are doing without their father. Maybe they will find some comfort at this time.

Spring is creeping back--we see it in the blooming trees and budding leaves, and the beautiful yellow daffodils so bright against the rainy gray sky. Life continues.

6 comments:

Angela Carmichael said...

You and Kate look so pretty in your Easter finery! I always love stopping by your blog. I hope that we will get to meet the rest of your family one day, maybe this summer when we are staying in OR. Thank you for your eloquent words on Easter today.

Lara Neves said...

I really love Kate's dress...she looks adorable.

I think it rained everywhere for Easter. :)

Pam said...

Aww...Easter is hard for us too. My mother used to always get very sad, since her mother had died at Easter time (and my aunt's 10th birthday). Then my mother died right before Mother's Day. But we do have His hope.

Very sweet photos!

Amy Sorensen said...

I think the last sentence in your post was perfect. It DOES go on, and it gets easier in the sense that you find the "new normal" of your life without that person, but it's never the same. Hugs as you go through this time.

Mimi said...

It is an interesting coincidence in your life that there's been so much death recently, and it is really the crux (that word is used intentionally) of the Easter (Pascha) message.

Memory Eternal to those whom you have lost recently.

And, what a gorgeous top, you look lovely. I really liked Bolt, I hope you do too.

Nobody said...

I too have thought a lot about life and death lately. I go back and forth on what the answers are...

Your friend Matt's blog brought me to tears. Thank you for sharing the link so I could catch a brief glimpse of something indescribable.