Sunday, May 20, 2007

Poor Man's Cake

I made a Poor Man's Cake this afternoon. It's kind of a family staple (from my family, when I was growing up) but it's been a long time since I've made one. In fact I don't think Kate had ever had it before. It's called Poor Man's Cake because it doesn't use eggs or milk. Actually it does use eggs, but they're optional. We always put them in. So I guess it's only half-poor. The real point of this cake is that it's made with whole wheat flour, and honey instead of sugar. This was almost always what we had for birthdays and such.

Somebody at church once asked me for the recipe and I never gave it to her, so I thought I'd post it here.



Poor Man's Cake

In a large bowl, mix together:

4 cups whole wheat flour
½-1 tsp salt
1½ tsp baking powder
1½ tsp baking soda
½-1 tsp cinnamon

In a blender put:

¾ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup honey (I have reduced this to slightly less than ½ cup and it's still plenty sweet for me)
1½-2 cups water
2 carrots (optional)
2 eggs (optional)
(I like to add a little nutmeg too)

Blend ingredients in blender. Beat both mixtures together. Add ½-1 cup raisins if desired.

Bake in a greased and floured 13"x9" pan at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until done.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Helena,

This brings back memories! I also like to put nuts on top-especially sliced almonds. I remember that we used to put nuts on half of the cake so that the nut people and the non-nut people could all be happy. Sometimes we used it for breakfast. I remember sometimes enjoying it crumbled in a bowl with Rice Dream poured over it. (Ew-w-w-w! Mom, how could you?) Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! We are always looking for healthier alternatives and this one looks (and sounds) good.

Have you ever tried Rice Dream? It's good! -- Mary

Sweet Molly Mac said...

Hi Helena! I used your breakthrough template in another LO! I love these! Fantastic!!!

http://www.digishoptalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=119071&ppuser=4074

Karen said...

Thanks for the recipe, Helena sounds yummy!

Briana said...

YAY! I loooove finding recipes on blogs! Thanks a ton! :)

Chalfont said...

I just might try this!