Thursday, December 01, 2011

"Pika! Pika!"



We made a little squishy stuffed Pikachu for Kate.  Actually Doug made it and I helped out just a little.  She loves it! Pikachu has been going along to drop Kate off at school in the morning, and pick her up in the afternoon.





I did the stitching around the mouth, and painted the white highlights on the eyes.  I also stitched closed the opening left for stuffing.  The rest of it was all Doug.

Kate is into Pokemon lately--we got a couple of movies out of the library and now she's always pretending to be something-or-other, hopping around and repeating the name of the creature in a squeaky voice.  Pikachu says "Pika!  Pika!"



There is a kind of animal called a pika. (Pikachu's pika is pronounced like "pee-ka" and the animal pika is "pie-ka.")  They're a type of lagomorph (related to rabbits).  Pikas are a favorite in my family--we had some pictures of them in Kirsten's Bits of Intelligence, and Betsey did a super fun report on Pikas in high school.  The really cool thing about Pikas is that they make hay.  They gather grass and let it dry in the sun, then take it back to their burrows for their winter food storage.

Pikachu is definitely not a pika (the ears and the tail are a bit of a giveaway).  But I can't hear Kate saying "Pika! Pika!" without thinking of pikas.  They sure are cute little guys.  I found a video of a pika near Snoqualmie.  It would be fun to get to see one in the wild.

2 comments:

Mimi said...

My oldest was Pikachu for Halloween one year.

Cute!

Karen Ahlstrom said...

there are several origami pikachu patterns out there, but my favorite is the one I designed myself by not quite finishing a waterbomb. It has cute stick up ears and triangle cheeks. If you're interested in making one, I'll post instructions and pics