Sunday, August 09, 2009

Fireflies!



While in Ohio we developed a nighttime ritual: we'd get Kate into her pajamas, then put her shoes back on and run around in the front yard catching fireflies for a while before bed. She didn't actually manage to catch any herself till our second-to-last night there, but she had a great time chasing them around.



Aren't those watermelon pajamas cute?





There are a lot of things to learn about catching fireflies--like, the best time is right as it's getting dark, so you can still see them between blinks. And the way they always seem to go straight up and hover for a second, and then zoom off sideways.



Doug shows one to Andy.



It takes off...



... and lights up! (Lucky shot!)



Here's another lucky shot that I got of one in flight. I think it was either just starting to glow or had just finished. You could go through a lot of pixels, chasing these little guys around with a camera!

11 comments:

scrapper al said...

Great shots!

Heather T. said...

Oh wow! Can't believe you got the glow--awesome!

Kathey said...

Really COOL!

Dawn said...

How cool! I've never seen fireflies in person!

Cynthia said...

Wow! Way cool! I've never seen a firefly let alone caught one. What a fun experience for Miss Kate (who is getting so big!)

Katie said...

Very cool! I've never seen a firefly!

Laura Call said...

Awesome! I love the last two shots you were able to capture.

MamaBug said...

The glowing shots are awesome! I think it's sad we done have fireflies where we live...but I'm glad we don't have the humidity that goes with the areas of the country that have fireflies. :) Kate and Andy are just adorable.

. said...

I hate how my kids never have experienced fire flies. It is part of childhood to chase them and put them in the jar.

Mimi said...

That is a lucky and amazing shot! I've only seen fireflies once, they are magical indeed.

mycattripoli said...

i love all things watermelon