Friday, March 28, 2014

Tacoma Murals Project

I've applied for this: Tacoma Murals Project. The program began a few years ago, and I found out about it too late to apply, but I contacted them and got on the mailing list. So this year I'm going for it! I got all my info in a couple of days before the deadline.



They wanted pictures of fifteen works. I've done a good number of murals, stage sets, and other painting projects, but had to fill in with a couple of pencil drawings (which will showcase my versatility, I guess!)

I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time.  I've even thought of finding a muralist in the area who would let me shadow them.  I was so sad when I realized I'd missed the application deadline, when I first found out about the project.  But in the intervening time I've been accumulating experience and connections.  I love the fact that I get to use the director of Tacoma Opera as a professional reference now.  

They'll be choosing a few sites around town and matching artists up with community groups.  If I don't get picked as a lead artist I could be an assistant.  (I've never done an exterior mural before, so assisting might be a good way to start.) I should hear by April 15th!

No comments: