Friday, November 07, 2008

Halloween Night



Things were pretty topsy-turvy around here, as you can probably imagine, but we decided to go ahead and take Kate to the Halloween party at the church the night before we left. She wore the dragon costume that Aunt Karen made her for Christmas.



They had trick-or-treating set up in the classrooms around the building (some were quite elaborately decorated), so we went around and collected candy.

On previous years there were carnival-style game booths in the gym. There wasn't anything like that this year, just chairs set up, and a few decorations, but Kate was still excited. When we walked into the gym she said, "Oh! It's Halloween in here too!"



No time to come up with a cute trick-or-treating bag. This one got a few comments.



"There's candy in here!"



"Oooh, an eyeball!"



Here's Kate with her teacher, Catharine Tracy. (Apparently a lot of people have trouble recognizing an Alice in Wonderland costume. What's up with that?)



When we left the party we took Kate by a friend's house, to see their decorations. They said she was their first trick-or-treater. I guess it's not a big candy destination area. After that she wanted to go somewhere else, so we stopped by the Tracys' for a short visit. And then we really had to go home and start packing.

We never did do the pumpkin thing. I enjoyed seeing everyone's pumpkin patch pictures and was looking forward to taking Kate, but it just didn't work out. (Maybe we could have if Doug hadn't been in Portland the weekend before....) Ah well. There's always next year.

8 comments:

Mimi said...

Really? I knew the costume as soon as I saw the photo. What did people think it was? Inquring minds are piqued.

Helena said...

She said a few people thought she was Dorothy, and someone even asked if she was Snow White. Huh.

Lara Neves said...

I guess Disney needs to pull Alice out of the vault so people can become reacquainted, huh? I think it's been nearly ten years.

Kate looks like she had fun!

Can't wait to see your japanese pattern all completed!

Karen Ahlstrom said...

Yay Hooray! I don't think I ever got pictures of her in that, and was wondering recently if it ever got worn. It makes me happy!

Mimi said...

That's so bizarre, Helena.

Expatriate Buckeyes said...

I love the picture of Kate and her teacher. I must admit the basket threw me off for a minute, but who other than Alice would be carrying a flamingo?

Anonymous said...

Great costume, and Kate looks so excited.

Samara and Family said...

Seeing Alice in Wonderland makes me feel sooo old. The Sunbeams I taught many moons ago are all college age now and some are conceivably married.