Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Kayaking

We got to go sea kayaking, not far from Redondo Beach. That was a lot of fun. (There are places around Tacoma that rent kayaks, but we've never gone out in one.) I wanted to go in a kayak, but I wanted to get some pictures, too (and was not about to take my camera on the water) so my dad went with Doug and Kate first, and then we swapped.



Here's Kate getting into the kayak. I invoked Dora the Explorer while putting on her life jacket--"life jackets! So we can be safe!"




Everyone paddled around in the marina a bit while I took some pictures, and then headed further out.



Barb and Kyle.



Peter and Karen. (You can see Kate trailing her hand in the water in the background.)

We switched places and I got in the kayak with Doug and Kate, and we paddled out into the harbor. There were lots of sea lions around, and some big pelicans. (This is where I need a cheap camera to take out on the water.) We went out around the end of the breakwater, where the waves were bigger (singing "Wave over wave, sea over bow") but decided not to go out as far as Barb and Kyle, who went out around a buoy and back. Right at that point I started feeling a little weird, and said, "Either I'm sea sick or I just got hungry--let's go back and get some food."

Kate was very quiet and spent most of the time lying across Doug's legs with her hand in the water, and somewhere along the way she fell asleep. The rocking motion must have been soothing.



I tied my hat on. Yeah, it looks goofy. But it stayed on!

We slathered everyone all over with sunblock, but I guess I missed a spot, because I ended up with a small, oddly-shaped burn on the top of one foot. (The "oddly shaped" part was from my sandal straps.) It's faded a lot but you can still see it. Barb got rather toasted as well.

7 comments:

Heather T. said...

*grins* Nice hat!!

Anonymous said...

Lots of fun! Kate is more adventurous than Jaylene. She held on to her dad the whole time during her kayak trip ;)

Anonymous said...

P.S. Now I have that Great Big Sea song in my head ;)

Theresa said...

Ohh cool! Looks like/sounds like tons of fun. Isn't it funny that sometimes you have to go on vacation to do something you could do in your own backyard?

Expatriate Buckeyes said...

I'm so glad your whole family got to have such a fun time together. Won't it be fun in a few years when there are more cousins?

Laura Call said...

Looks like you guys had so much fun!

We've rented kayaks over in Gig Harbor. It's a nice little quiet area you can go kayaking and we love it.

Kerry McKibbins said...

looks like fun!