Sunday, August 05, 2007

Eight Random Things

I've been busy--I was reading Harry Potter, and then working on various projects. I'm in charge of the mega kit at ndisb this month, and I'm also putting some stuff together for a charity kit for orphanages in China. Lots going on.

Since Eva said she wanted to tag me, I thought I'd do this "eight random things about me" meme.

1. I was named after my mother's mother's mother. Helena was the first of her two middle names. She was from Sweden. I don't have a middle name, myself, but have not often felt the lack.

2. For many years I labored under the misapprehension that "buttercup" was another name for daffodil. It wasn't until I was in college that I found out what a buttercup was. I'm still not sure how this happened, but I have since discovered that other people also have the same problem (a search for "buttercup" on pbase brings up quite a lot of daffodil pictures), so perhaps I heard someone say it somewhere and it stuck. But it kind of makes sense, right? I mean, they're yellow, and they have that cup-shaped thing....

3. I have a scar by my left eye from when I fell off the neighbor's trampoline and hit my head on the frame, and had to have stitches. I had a babysitter at the time and I was not supposed to be in the neighbor's yard. My parents came home and found an ambulance in the driveway. I think I was about six.

4. I still have my baby blanket and slept with it for years. Blankie is getting so ratty that I had to put him away after Kate was born, for fear of further damage. *sniff*

5. I have the same thing for breakfast practically every day--oatmeal with raisins and banana. It has to be old fashioned oatmeal, and it has to be done a certain way. I used to put honey and cinnamon in it too, but somewhere along the way I stopped doing that.

6. I made up a Korean name for myself, Im Ha Gyoung (임하경), based on the meaning of my own name. My maiden name means "elm by the stream" and Helena means "light," so I used Im (also spelled Lim), a Korean surname that means forest, and then Ha, meaning stream, and Gyoung, meaning light. Not that I've ever gotten to use it for anything.

7. I enjoy puzzle games, like Nisqually (one I'm proud of having solved) and also stuff like Blix and Hexic. (Hexic is much more complex than it looks.) Though I hardly ever do stuff like this anymore, since discovering Photoshop.

8. I would love to get a copy of Sandra Boynton's Hester in the Wild. It is very out of print. I can recite large stretches from memory, but it's not quite the same.

Now I'm supposed to come up with eight people to tag. Ummm... if you haven't done this one, and you'd like to, have at it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Helena,

Are you ready for this? You were also named for your mother's, mother's, mother's mother. Actually you might also say that you were named for your mother's mother although her name isn't quite the same. Here they all are:

Starting with my mom:
Helen Elvira Bystrom Jensen, dau of
Elin Helena Kristina Andersson Bystrom, dau of
Johanna Helena Runsten Andersson.

Wheew!

Love, Mom

origamikaren said...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0060206314/ref=dp_olp_2/102-7255566-1371316

You can get Hester in the Wild on amazon for about $16.

-Karen

Mimi said...

Ooooh, look - a copy of the book! how brilliant!

Good to get to know you better.

Gail T. said...

love that you made up a korean name for yourself. ;) I wrote mine in hangul (가일) and i use it all over the place. not that anybody else in my family can read it. oh well.