Friday, November 07, 2008

All Aboard!

We caught the Coast Starlight (Amtrak) at 10:30 Saturday morning, headed down to Klamath Falls, Oregon.



Doug and Kate on the platform, watching the train approach.



We boarded at station 11, so we got Kate to find the 11 for us. On the way out she "found" all the other numbers, too, and read them to us as we pulled out.



I took Kate up to the lounge car so I could point out Titlow Park as we passed. When we go to the park it's always a big deal when the trains go by. Now we've seen it from both sides!



Going under the Narrows Bridge. We'd been under once in a boat a few years ago, when there was only one bridge.



Mist near Olympia.



I did a lot of crocheting on the train. Yes, I caved and started one of those Japanese patterns, even though I haven't finished my painting. (The painting would have been much harder to take along.)



Lunch in the dining car, near Portland.



Kate was kind of bouncing off the walls, and finished eating before we did, so our waiter brought her some crayons so she could draw on the paper table cloth. This was my contribution, from a Korean train song. I know I spelled it completely wrong.



After Portland Kate finally conked out and slept for a while. She gave up naps a long time ago, but will still occasionally succumb to the lullaby of the moving vehicle.

This was my first time on Amtrak. It was nice to be able to get up and move around, and check out the different parts of the train. The seats were pretty comfortable, too (we liked the leg rests). And it probably would have taken us about the same amount of time to drive it. Once it got dark, though, going through the mountains, it was completely pitch black outside and looking out the window became considerably less interesting.

We got into Klamath Falls a little before 10:00. Doug's mom and his brother Al picked us up at the station.

11 comments:

Mimi said...

Great photos, I'm glad you had a good trip, even though the reason wasn't too pleasant.

Did you wave to me on the way?

Helena said...

I did! :)

mycattripoli said...

what a fun way to travel- especially with all the changing colors!

Dean and Ida said...

Oh trains!!! I do love trains because my grandpa worked for the railroad building bridges and my Dad always told us stories and we had a toy train that we would set up every christmas... haven't been on one in years though!

Expatriate Buckeyes said...

Kate looks soooo sweet in that last picture.

Anonymous said...

Trains are a fun way to travel with kids. So, did you finish the pattern yet?

Erika said...

I love the pics. of Kate on the train. Yeah, dad's last boot. I agree it was cool they shut the store.

Carin said...

Looks like you had a good trip, it is nice to be able to get up and walk around. Kate is getting so big I can't believe it.

Amy B. said...

that does look like a nice way to travel. and easier to do handwork than in a car. ;)

cami said...

I'd tell you if your spelling was right...if I had any idea! I'm the worst Korean speller ever, which makes no sense, really. I am an above-average speller in English, a much more nonsensical language than Korean, where everything (phonetic) makes sense and is easily sounded out. Glad to see it isn't just me. ;)
I enjoyed your train photos! Beautiful!

Laura Call said...

Kate looks so cute sleeping in that last picture. I haven't taken the train in years but I used to take it every summer to visit my grandma in Oregon and I loved it. Glad the traveling went smoothly for you guys.