I've applied for this: Tacoma Murals Project. The program began a few years ago, and I found out about it too late to apply, but I contacted them and got on the mailing list. So this year I'm going for it! I got all my info in a couple of days before the deadline.
They wanted pictures of fifteen works. I've done a good number of murals, stage sets, and other painting projects, but had to fill in with a couple of pencil drawings (which will showcase my versatility, I guess!)
I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time. I've even thought of finding a muralist in the area who would let me shadow them. I was so sad when I realized I'd missed the application deadline, when I first found out about the project. But in the intervening time I've been accumulating experience and connections. I love the fact that I get to use the director of Tacoma Opera as a professional reference now.
They'll be choosing a few sites around town and matching artists up with community groups. If I don't get picked as a lead artist I could be an assistant. (I've never done an exterior mural before, so assisting might be a good way to start.) I should hear by April 15th!
Saturday, March 15, 2014
One of the ladies that I visit teach just had a birthday, and I was feeling the creative bug, and it had been a while since I'd done some papercutting... so this happened. I didn't intend for it to be quite this elaborate, but it was a fun project.
The cutting part took maybe about three hours.. I find it relaxing. (Kind of zen--get in the cutting zone.) I moved Doug's little work lamp over to my computer desk and sat and listened to NPR podcasts while I worked. I was able to get a lot done while Andy was at preschool, and then finished it up after he got back and we had lunch.
The finished product! I don't think I've combined paper cutting with torn edges before--it just came to me in a flash of inspiration, and I love how it turned out. (I tore the edges before tracing my design onto the back.)
After this I recreated the whole thing in Adobe Illustrator. I've been trying, off and on, to familiarize myself with the program enough to be able to create cool vector graphics like I used to do in Corel Draw. I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. Yay!
Tuesday, March 11, 2014
One of the reasons why I was in a hurry to get all that ivy out was so I could put in some daffodil bulbs before it got too cold. I ordered a 40-bulb pack from Breck's and got them in the ground right before Thanksgiving. They are starting to come up! It's so fun to come out of the house every day and see the leaves poking up a little higher. Can't wait for them to bloom!